Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Place An Ad | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

Tue., 12:25pm: UPDATE Warren school attendance down after shootout rumor

October 29, 2013
Tribune Chronicle | TribToday.com

WARREN -- Attendendance is down but classes are being held as usual at all of the city school district's five buildings after rumors quickly spread on social media sites about a possible ``shootout'' planned at the high school today.

Superintendent Michael Notar said school resources officers, with help from detectives from the Warren Police Department, took additional precautions as students entered Warren G. Harding High School this morning.

Notar said the heightened awareness was in response to a Facebook comment posted by a student on Monday that read that ``apparently there's going to be a shoot out at Harding tomorrow. I'm not going to school.''

This came hours after rumors circulated that there had been a shooting at one of the schools.

``But there was no shooting at any of our buildings yesterday,'' Notar said this morning. ``Attendance was down this morning, which I expected.''

He said parents were notified of the extra security at the high school. Many police officers were there to search students as they entered.

Students were not permitted to carry book bags into the high school today.

He said an unrelated power outage at McGuffey K-8 put the building in the dark for about 15 minutes.

``It didn''t affect classes or anything,'' he said.

He noted that the staff was at full attendance.

 
 

 

I am looking for: