GIRARD - Two sisters were transported to a local hospital for observation after a fire broke out in the kitchen of their Patricia Drive apartment Monday morning.
Capt. Sal Ponzio of the Girard Fire Department said the 17- and 18-year-olds were hanging outside an upstairs bedroom window when firefighters arrived about 8 a.m. He said heavy smoke was coming from the apartment at the multi-unit complex, which was evacuated. Fire crews used a ladder to rescue the sisters.
"The girls' mom wanted them checked out as a precaution," Ponzio explained. "They were scared, but they're OK. There was a lot of smoke and they were trying to get some air."
Ponzio said the fire was caused by "unattended cooking" and quickly contained to the kitchen area of the apartment. He said no one was injured and a man sleeping in a basement apartment, as well as two cats, also were rescued.
Damage is estimated to be about $10,000, he said.